For people who do not know, here is what happens for the review process:
- On test day, at the test site, your room monitor reads a statement before the test. The information provided includes directions regarding Civil Service review.
- For certain tests, you are able to attend a review session where specific questions are available to review.
- The front of your test booklet describes which questions, if any, are available for review.
- When you are done with your test, you need to ask the room monitor for a sheet to sign up for review. You will fill out the bottom part of the sheet and return that to the room monitor. The top part of the sheet contains information about the review.
- If you already took your test, but didn’t remember to ask the monitor for a sheet to sign up for review, you can’t attend the review.
On review day (I guess it’s usually the week after the exam?), you will get a copy of the reviewable questions and the answers that Civil Service believes to be correct.
You can bring reference materials (but not cell phones/pagers/computers/etc).
You can write appeals regarding questions but have to cite reference for why you believe the question or answer is not good.
Exam admission notices are out!
Exam admission notices were mailed at the end of last week.
If you have not received your notice to appear for the written test three days before the date of the test, call 518-474-6470 in the Albany area or toll free at 1-877-697-5627.
Remember to bring your admission notice and ID with you to the exam.
Note for those taking the exam at Albany High:
I have received a reminder that parking is expected to be tight at Albany High, so if you are assigned to that location make sure to get there early or park somewhere else and ride the bus in.
In 2014, Civil Service sent me the following clarification about the calculator policy:
- Candidates will be advised on their admission notice whether or not calculators are permitted.
- If calculators are permitted, they must be quiet, hand-held, solar or battery powered.
- Devices with typewriter keyboards such as computers, spell-checkers, personal digital assistants, address books, language translators, dictionaries, and any similar devices are prohibited.
I have been advised that the TI-83 Plus graphing calculator will likely not be allowed by proctors as it contains user-programmable memory.
I personally am going to bring both a TI-30XIIS scientific calculator and a simple four-function calculator.
NYS Department of Civil Service provides a very limited set of sample questions on their website at https://www.cs.ny.gov/testing/statetestguides.cfm
You will have to poke around to find the appropriate topics, as the documents are prepared to assist with specific title series.
At some point I made a comprehensive document, but there may be more available at this point and I won’t have time to update it. Here is what I do have:
The New York State Department of Civil Service has announced the following IT Series examinations. Employees in the CIO Division are strongly encouraged to apply for all exams for which they qualify. Your placement on Civil Service eligible lists increases your employment and promotional opportunities.
When filing your online application, be aware there is no technical assistance on weekends, or after 5 PM on weekdays.
Continue reading “2017 IT Exam Announcements”
I’m IT2 Specialist and I’m going to take the test for IT3, some friends told me to take the test for IT4, too. Is that possible?
As an ITS2, you won’t be eligible to take the ITS4 promotional exam.
You could possibly take the open-competitive version of the exam (same exam, different list). Continue reading “FAQ – can a current ITS2 take the ITS4 exam?”
Here is a summary of the subjects of examination for the 2017 holding of the ITS exams.
I have compared the latest announcements against 2014’s announcements and noted any changes.
THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL DOCUMENT FROM CIVIL SERVICE.
THE ANNOUNCEMENTS AT CS.NY.GOV ARE THE ONLY OFFICIAL SOURCE OF INFORMATION.
2017 ITS Subjects of Examination [PDF]